Loading color scheme

Our first steps

The Naval Academy Primary School began in the early 1900s as a nursery school for children of Naval Academy faculty and staff, both military and civilian. Two sisters, the Misses Liza and Mary Magruder, operated the school. It was often referred to as The Magruder School. From the school's inception in 1946, it was housed in a succession of locations: the east end of Dahlgren Hall; the lower level of the Naval Academy chapel, until 1913 when John Paul Jones' body was placed in the chapel crypt; and Isherwood Hall, a building subsequently demolished to provide the site for Alumni Hall.